Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Book Review: The Secret Place of the Most High for Women by Busola Jegede

This self-published book is certainly unique in Christian publishing.  The author talks about "the secret place of the most high", which is a state where we abide closely with the Lord.  Based on Psalm 91, it is a place where God protects us, loves us, grows us and empowers us.  The first few chapters of this book describe this secret place.  The remainder of the book is a week by week year long Bible study that is meant to connect the reader to God.  There is also a special 21 day fast Bible study included in the back of the book.

The content of this book is pretty good.  It does seem to lean a little too far in the health, wealth and prosperity side of things for me, but at no point did it ever seem unbiblical.  The Bible studies in the book are deep and meaningful and truly seem like they would help you enter into God's very presence.  The problem with this book, as with many self-published books, is that it is in some serious need of editing.  To the author's credit, she lives in Nigeria, so English may not be her first language.  For the reader, though, the writing was clunky and tedious to read.

With some serious copy editing, this could be an amazing book.  If you are willing to wade through the lack of editing, this could definitely be a life changing book.  As it is, though, I don't think I can recommend it to the average reader.

I was provided a free copy of this book in return for my honest review.

2 comments:

daughtersofdestiny said...

Thank you for your honest review. Just to mention that the book was professionally edited by Outskirts press that published it.

Jenny Wright said...

I assume this is the author...if so, hi! I love when the authors come and read the reviews!

Yours is not the first book from Outskirts Press that I've seen that needs considerable copyediting. I'm glad you commented that you DID use their editing services. I'm thinking now that the editing issues are on their end and not the authors'. I notice the same thing with books from Westbow Press.

If you do a second edition, I would suggest going with a different editor, because you would have a really strong book in the charismatic genre with more editing and a few tweeks.

And to the potential Outskirts or Westbow Press users, their editing is crap. It is really awful. I have a friend that had a very positive experience with Outskirts, so I'm not going to say don't use them, but I suggest you put considerable editing into your book outside of their supposed editing services.

Again, thanks so much for coming back and reading the review!