Monday, August 4, 2014

Book Review: Simplify by Bill Hybels

Instead of doing New Year's Resolutions, I pick a theme I want to work on for each year.  Last year my theme was focus.  The goal was to simplify my life so my energy would be focused at a few critical goals instead of dispersed among many good, but not so important goals.  Ever since I finished the year of focus, I've been interested in continuing to explore a simpler life.  Because of this, I was eager to read Bill Hybel's book, Simplify:  Ten Practices to Unclutter Your Soul.

This book is excellent, except I'm not sure the title does the book justice.  Yes, much of the content in the book deals with simplifying life, but the magic of this book is the many years of life experience that Bill Hybel's shares with his readers.  He doesn't present it in a memoir form, but through much of the book, especially the chapter on friendship, it's obvious these are ideas and principles he's lived through.  Especially being someone in ministry, I appreciated this life advice from someone who is walking a similar path to the one I'm walking down.  I also appreciate the broadness of the categories he presented, from work, to relationships, to time management.  I feel like I have a real treasure in my hands when I read this book.  The wisdom contained in it is well worth the price.

I recommend this book to any Christian who is looking to make adjustments in their life.  I especially recommend it to anyone in the ministry who simply needs a simpler life.

I was provided a copy of this book by Tyndale House Publishers in return for my honest review.

No comments: