Friday, August 16, 2013

Book Review: Happily Ever After by Gary Chapman

Happily Ever After: Six Secrets to a Successful Marriage by Gary Chapman is a thorough and realistic book on Christian marriage. I have read a lot read a number of Christian marriage books, most of which are more hurtful than helpful (like the one that said if the wife wants to make love more than the husband and it's causing a problem in the marriage, it's obviously the wife's fault because if the she was a better wife, her husband would want to have sex with her all the time...really?). I have also read a number of books by Gary Chapman (The Five Love Languages is a classic, to be put on the level of Mere Christianity and The Pilgrim's Progress...seriously). If anyone is able to right the wrongs done by hundreds of horrendous Christian marriage books, it would have to be Gary Chapman. And I have to say, with this book, he did a pretty good job.

The book focuses on six common issues in marriage and very thoroughly digs through each, using scripture, real life stories and good counseling advice, to bring as much insight and applicable information to the reader. The advice he gives is realistic and achievable, applying to a broad cross section of Christian couples. This book, along with The Five Love Languages, would make an excellent wedding gift for any Christian couple. In fact, it is so clear and practical that it may even make a good gift for a non-Christian.

Lastly, and this is a side note, just a personal preference...there is something about this book that feels good in my hands. I know, a bizarre thing to make a comment on in a review, but I'm a very physical, tactile person and it is so enjoyable to read a book that feels good, is sized well and has a comforting texture. I may be the only person in the world that cares about that, but in the event someone else out there shares in my idiosyncrasy, I thought I'd pass on the info.

I was given a preview copy of this book from Tyndale House in return for my honest review.

No comments: