Friday, August 16, 2013

Book Review: I AM not but I know I AM by Louie Giglio

I Am Not But I Know I AM by Louie Giglio is about one simple idea. We are little and God is big. It seems like that would be an easy concept to grab, but most of us struggle our entire lives to live it. We are not the center of the universe. The world is not about us. Our own lives are not about us. We are tiny. God is infinite.

Through a series of stories, bible teaching and essay-like passages, Giglio not only calls us to remove ourselves from the center of our lives, but calls us to embrace our smallness, just as we embrace God's largeness. He elaborates that smallness isn't just a mind frame, but is shown through our actions in a number of ways, all of which seem to point back to trust and submission.

What I like best about this book, and particularly the author, is the depth and perspective he gives to the topic. While I think his one word bible study method may be far too tedious for my liking, I can see the benefits of it show through in the unique insight he gains from scripture and the use of biblical words. Not only that, but his entire treatment of the topic was so refreshing. I'm beginning to grow tired of the "God has big plans for you" books that are out there because far too many of them flirt with a gospel of narcissism. It was nice to read this tome and hear an author talk about the Godliness of being tiny. It's a reminder we all need from time to time.

I recommend this book to any and every Christian. We all need a reminder of who we are compared to God's glory and this book is a well written and enlightening reminder of that.

I was given a free copy of this book from Multnomah Books in return for my honest review.

No comments: