Friday, November 22, 2013

Book Review: The Ragamuffin Bible by Brennan Manning

Brennan Manning is one of my favorite authors.  His writing is deep, thought provoking and vulnerable and doesn't read like anything else out there.  So I was super excited to see that there was going to be an NIV Bible with reflections and quotes from Manning throughout it.

This Bible is the NIV with "meditations for the bedraggled, beat-up and brokenhearted" sprinkled throughout.  It is billed as the lifetime work of his and based on the fact that almost all of the inserts are from his previous publications, I would say that is a fair evaluation.  I would say, though, that this is first and foremost a Bible.  While there is an insert of Manning's writings every few pages, very few of the inserts are longer than a sentence or two, a paragraph at most.  I have to say this disappointed me some.  Because I respect the author so much, I was hoping for a "through the Bible with Brennan Manning" type experience.  Instead, I felt like many of the inserts were too short and too infrequent and thus they feel like little more than after thoughts.

I am a huge fan of both Brennan Manning and the NIV Bible, so my overall impression of this Bible is favorable.  I just wish more of his quotes and thoughts appeared throughout.  I have a Bible.  In fact, I have many Bibles.  If I'm going to buy another copy, I want it to offer something that my other Bible's don't have.  I just wish more of his quotes and thoughts appeared throughout.  The way it is, I'm sad to say, doesn't give me a whole lot of reason to want this one specifically.

I was given this book free of charge by booksneeze.com in return for my honest review.

No comments: