Saturday, August 2, 2014

Book Review: Celebrate Recovery Bible by John Baker

In 2011, I went on a mission trip and shared my story about my struggles with depression and suicidal thoughts with two of the people I met, one of whom was struggling with bipolar and the other, a recovering alcoholic who was the full time missionary in the area.  The recovering alcoholic highly suggested the Celebrate Recovery Bible to me and felt so strongly about it, he was willing to give me his own.  I declined but told him that I'd by one as soon as I got home from the mission trip.

I'm so glad I did.  Much like a 12 step program (this is 8), this Christian based recovery program is for people with "hurts, hang-ups or habits", which can be anything from addiction to codependency to healing past abuse.  The beginning of the Bible has the eight steps and what Bible verse to start with for each lesson's Bible study.  There are also 30 days of devotionals in the back, character profiles on Biblical characters and testimonials interspersed throughout.

I worked through this book mostly on my own, except for the part that required asking for and giving forgiveness, and confessing your past sins.  I know there are churches that have recovery groups that use this format, but I didn't get to be in a group like that.  I've also walked someone struggling with alcoholism through this book.  Everyone I've seen that has walked through the steps in this Bible have been permanently changed.  While some people may still require counseling, rehab, detox or some other outside help, this book addresses all the spiritual aspects of healing as well as some of the more practical steps.

I recommend this Bible to anyone with "hurts, hang-ups or habits", which, quite honestly, we all have.  While it may be a good idea to be part of a Celebrate Recovery group, it isn't necessary in order to be benefited from walking through this Bible.

I've been provided a complimentary copy of this book by Zondervan in return for my honest review.

No comments: