Sunday, March 22, 2015

Releasing the Power of the Prophetic by Jeremy Lopez

About 18 months ago, God began showing me that I have the gift of prophecy.  I go to a fairly conservative church that seems okay with spiritual gifts like teaching and shepherding, but the gifts that involve more obviously supernatural elements, like prophecy or healing, aren't really talked about much.  Because of that, I've been interested in reading more about the spiritual gift of prophecy, and how to use it to honor God and not become a crazy nut.  So when I got the opportunity to review Releasing the Power of the Prophetic:  A Practical Guide to Developing a Listening Ear and Discerning Spirit by Jeremy Lopez, I jumped on it.

I will state upfront, while my theology is more Holy Spirit driven than many Christians I know, I do not consider myself charismatic.  I say this to give my readers some idea of how charismatic based this book is.  While there were a few places in this book, especially near the end, that made me uneasy theologically, the vast majority of the book is strictly Biblical and has little that non-charismatics would disagree with.

Because of its attention to Biblical truth, this book really does serve as a practical guide to the gift of prophecy.  I especially appreciated the chapters that talked about the characteristics of prophets and prophecy.  As someone growing in the gift of prophecy, these chapters really helped me to clarify the things I was hearing and why.  They also helped me identify other areas in my life where the gift of prophecy was showing up, but I wasn't recognizing because I didn't know that this gift functioned in those particular ways.

Overall, I recommend this book to anyone interested in the gift of prophecy or who may think they have this gift.  While a few of the chapters at the end were not so great, the first three-fourths of the book were so full of incredible information, that it is easy to overlook the flaws of the later chapters.

I was given this book free of charge by the publisher in return for my honest review.



No comments: