Friday, July 10, 2015

Between the Dark and the Daylight by Joan Chittister

Between the Dark and the Daylight:  Embracing the Contradictions of Life by Joan Chittister, a Benedictine Sister of Erie, Pennsylvania, is published by Image, the Catholic imprint of Crown Publishing.  I knew that going in, but I've been pondering the seeming paradoxes in the Christian faith lately and I was hoping this book would give me some insight into those things that feel so contradictory.  And, I grew up Catholic, so even though I reject some of their teachings that don't line up with the Bible, I'm sympathetic to where they are coming from most of the time and am pretty good at parsing out the Biblical from the not-so-biblical.

This review is going to be relatively short because there is only one problem with this book, but as a book presented as a Christian/Catholic book, it is a devastating problem...I couldn't find any mention of Jesus or scripture anywhere in it!  Outside of a single reference to "the Spirit" that I found, there wasn't even much mention of God!  Now, I will admit that after the first chapter with no talk of faith in it, I read the rest of it very quickly and there is a chance I missed it, but based on the vast majority of the book, this seems much more like some New Age garbage than anything Christ centered.  Maybe there is some wisdom in the pages, but my goal is to be more like Christ, not more like Sister Joan.

Overall, I consider this book garbage.  In fact, this may make my elite list of books that I actually throw in the garbage.  Don't waste your time.

I was provided this book free of charge from Crown Publishing in return for my honest review.

No comments: