Friday, August 16, 2013

Book Review: Altar Ego by Craig Groeschel

I am a fan of Craig Groeschel. I find almost all of his books to be excellent. This one is no different. Altar Ego: Becoming Who God Says You Are is one of his best ones yet. The idea of the book is very simple: in order to find out your true identity in God, you must sacrifice the identity you think you have. But this book delivers so much more than this.

For one, I think this would make an excellent book for a new Christian to read. In fact, I may buy multiple copies to give to people who begin to come to church. Groeschel always focuses on what is important in our walk with Christ, and that is the condition of our heart. This book lays out clearly how we need to sacrifice out broken, black, tiny hearts before God and allow Him to create a new heart in us. And that doesn't mean not watching R-rated music or trading in your Godsmack CD's for the Gaither's Greatest Hits. The walk with Jesus that he lays out in this book is a relationship. And as in all of Groeschel's books, his honesty about his own life struggles add credence to the radical life to which he calls the reader.

What I like most about this book is it's depth and the hard-core picture of Christianity that it paints. While it is a book I would be eager to give to a new Christian, it still is something that after several years of being a Christian, I still felt worth my time to read. Unlike other books that spell out the basics of a walk with Christ, this book really deepened my walk. It avoided rehashing the obvious and really put a unique spin on the topics addressed.

I would recommend this book to anyone who is willing to take their walk with Jesus to the next level and find a more authentic relationship with Him.

I was given this book free of charge through booksneeze.com in return for my honest review.

No comments: