Friday, August 16, 2013

Book Review: Go+Do by Jay Milbrandt

Go+Do: Daring to Change the World One Story at a Time by Jay Milbrandt is not quite the book I thought it would be, both for better and for worse. When I first decided to review it, I was anticipating a book focused on missions, trying to help the reader find motivation to go out in the world and be the "hands and feet" of Christ. While it inevitably does that, instead of being told from a straight informative format, it accomplished it's task through the authors personal testimony of finding his way in the mission field on a quest to find God's will for his life.

At first, I was disappointed to see a book that relied so heavily on one's personal testimony. Often times these sort of books fall flat for me, lacking the robustness and applicability of more biblically based non-fiction. As I began reading, though, I found his stories engaging and informative. I loved reading about his time spend in countries such as Thailand and Burma, countries halfway around the world and that few get an honest look at the typical day to day existence of the residents. Among these stories there were sections of general discussion about missions and finding God's will. That was where I struggled some, though. The general discussion sections lacked the interest that the testimony sections held and seemed pale at best compared to the riveting narrative.

So, while I would have preferred a book that focused strictly with his missionary experiences, I still recommend this book, if only for those incredible stories he tells. I wish the "take away" part for the reader would have been left up to us and what individually spoke to us through the story instead of trying to insert the pale general discussion sections that were just vague enough to apply to everyone and no one at the same time. Overall, though, this is definitely worth the read for any Christian interested in missions.

This book was given to me by Tyndale Publishing in return for my honest review.

No comments: