Friday, August 16, 2013

Book Review: Wild Goose Chase by Mark Batterson

I am a big fan of books by Mark Batterson. I loved Soul Print, In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day and The Circle Maker. While Wild Goose Chase is my least favorite of the four I have read, it still is an excellent book. Batterson identifies six "cages" that keep us from following the wild goose, otherwise known as the Holy Spirit.

There are certain traits that run though all of Mark Batterson's books, including this one, that I really appreciate. For one, the way he organizes his information is unique and creative and allows me to see insight into certain topics that I haven't read elsewhere. Also, he tells Bible stories in a holistic way, fleshing out what the people in the stories could have been thinking and feeling based on clues from the scripture. By far, though, my favorite aspect of his books is the wisdom he adds. There are a number of sentences that start, "In my experience". Unlike many authors that use that kind of wisdom to drive their own agendas, Batterson uses these instances to flesh out understanding or application. Wild Goose Chase certainly has these three characteristics and I enjoyed them very much in this book.

The reason I say it is my least favorite is because I feel as though he has stayed much more focused and on target in other books, where as this one didn't feel so cohesive. The main bulk of the information is broken down into six segments and halfway through the chapter, I would forget which segment I was reading about. It didn't invalidate any of the information in the book, but it did make it a little less enjoyable to read. Also...I found a handful of typos. I definitely don't blame that on the author. That is something a publisher should catch. It just detracts from the quality for me.

Overall, I definitely recommend this book. I think everyone will find at least one of the cages that his holding them back from experiencing everything God has in store for them. Even though this was the least enjoyable for me to read, it is worth chugging through just to uncover the great wisdom and perspective in this book.

This book was given to me free by WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group in return for my honest review.

No comments: