Friday, August 16, 2013

Book Review: These Are the Days of Elijah by R. T. Kendall

Elijah is one of my top three favorite people in the bible. I relate to the way Elijah feels in certain situations and his desire for God. Because of that, I was eager to read These Are the Days of Elijah: How God Uses Ordinary People to Do Extraordinary Things by R. T. Kendall.

Unfortunately, I have mixed feelings about the book. There were certain chapters that I loved and got a lot out of, such as the chapters on depression and when God seems unfair. Those chapters were focused and clear. Their bible references were sound and there were practical suggestions drawn from Elijah's story. There were other sections of the book that were so unfocused as to cause me to keep forgetting what chapter I was in. More troubling, though, were the places where the author made assumptions by stretching scripture almost to the breaking point. He also early on defined some words in a way that I have never seen defined that way, such as oath meaning infallibility. Oaths are not necessarily infallible. Things like that are small, but causes my trust in the author to waiver.

Overall, I recommend this book to someone who is doing a study on Elijah or someone willing to sift through the lesser chapters in order to get to the few chapters that are gems.

I was provided a free copy of this book by Baker Publishing in return for my honest opinion.

No comments: