Friday, August 16, 2013

Book Review: Unglued by Lysa TerKeurst

First off, I want to say that I have NOT read Lysa TerKeurst's book Unglued. From the way this devotional was advertised, it should be able to stand alone without having read the book. With that said, I found the devotional okay, but I suspect that my problems with the devotional would not have been as bothersome had I read the Unglued book first.

My main issue with the devotional was I never got a clear idea of what "unglued" meant. I know what it means when I become unglued, but I'm not sure my definition of unglued is the same as TerKeurst's. At first I suspected that she meant it to mean anger, but as the devotion went on, I felt that it lost some of that focus, not that she swayed far from it, but it didn't seem in focus. While all the information in the book was biblical and helpful, I didn't at any point get a good feeling of what direction we were going. Had I read the book first, or concurrently, I suspect that this all would have fleshed out more and I would have had more of the author's background to understand where she was coming from.

All is not bad in this devotional. In fact, there is a lot of good in it. TerKeurst has mastered the conversational style of writing. It reads as if she were a trusted friend sharing the lessons she's learned in life. She takes very critical theological ideas and wraps them up in everyday situations to which most people can relate. Each devotion is kept to a short, succinct entry that leaves you wanting more. Some of them are more superficial, some are deeper, some are more practical and some are more entertaining. There is certainly something there for everyone.

Overall, I would recommend this devotional, but I think to get the most out of it, it would help to read Unglued either first or at the same time as you are going through this devotional.

This book was provided to me free of charge by booksneeze.com in return for my honest review.

No comments: