Friday, August 16, 2013

Book Review: When to Speak Up & When to Shut Up by Dr. Michael D. Sedler

I'm one of those people who never means to offend people, but for whatever reason, things never come out of my mouth correctly and before I can even think about what I said, I have someone mad at me. I've joked for years that I wish someone would just write an instruction manual of how to say what's on your mind without ticking off everyone around you. This book has finally been written.

When to Speak Up & When to Shut Up: Principles for Conversations You Won't Regret by Dr. Michael D. Sedler is that book! The book does just what the title says...it tells us the biblical times when we should speak up and the biblical times when we should shut up. Not only that, but it tells us in very practical terms how to do both. He uses a balanced approach of bible stories and modern situations to illustrate his points. He even points out the possible pitfalls and false motivations that we may fall into when rationalizing the things we may say. Instead of focusing on just keeping the peace, he lays out a plan for saying hard truths and keeping the peace at the same time. This book is beyond excellent and I put it at the same place on my shelf as I would Boundaries by Cloud and Townsend or The Five Love Languages by Chapman.

I HIGHLY recommend this book. All Christians should read it, especially those where communication is the most difficult, such as in ministry or outreach situations.

I was provided this book free of charge by Chosen Publishing, a division of Baker Publishing, in return for my honest review.

No comments: