Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Book Review: Do What Jesus Did by Robby Dawkins

This book is perfect for a narrow audience...those who intentionally want to live a life much like the one Jesus did.  Other than that, Do What Jesus Did:  A Real-Life Field Guide to Healing the Sick, Routing Demons and Changing Lives Forever by Robby Dawkins, is full of good stories, but comes across as somewhat shallow.  I'll admit my bias here before I continue...I'm not a fan of story heavy books, especially when it comes to the more charismatic side of Christianity.

The plus side of this book is that it covers the real life experience of the author's work in healing and defeating demons.  For someone focused in this area, this book could be a huge encouragement and help give vision to a potential future ministry.  Unfortunately, I think in order for this book to be a more useful "field guide", as it purports to be, it needs to be better organized and focused.  Some chapters, such as the one on hearing God's voice did this well.  Other chapters, not so much.  The practical information often got lost in the author's stories.

If you are a reader that enjoys reading personal testimonies and stories, then you will probably enjoy this book and find it valuable.  Given my bias against story heavy narratives, I found this book so-so.

This book was provided to me by Baker Publishing Group in return for my honest opinion.

No comments: