Monday, December 9, 2013

Book Review: Sun Stand Still Devotional by Steven Furtick

A few years ago I read Steven Furtick's book Sun Stand Still while doing a mini self-study on faith.  I remember really enjoying the book, but deep down wondering whether or not faith was that easy.  Can our faith really play out as it did for the people in the Bible?  Is it really God's voice I hear when a small, quiet voice begins to speak to me during my prayer time?  Aren't I just being foolish to pray for something and then begin to act as though it is going to happen and expect God to do His thing?  Isn't that presumptuous?  

As it turns out, a few years and several "sun stand still" moments later, I can say that Sun Stand Still presented the most practical way that faith actually works in the life of a follower of Jesus that I have read in any other text (except the Bible, of course).  Thus, I was excite when the Sun Stand Still 40-day devotional came out.  This devotional is a broken down, step by step, practical guide to absorbing and experiencing what was taught in Sun Stand Still.  While a reader of the Sun Stand Still book will recognize many of the same stories and ideas in the devotional, the devotional covers the information differently and is a nice compliment to the original book.  For someone who hasn't read Sun Stand Still first, this book is capable of standing alone, with the caveat that if you are someone that has trouble believing in a supernatural God, that you may need to refer back to the original book for further convincing that what is in this book is scriptural.

As someone who generally hates devotional books, I am very emphatic that this is one of the good ones.  There seems to be a trend among devotional books where they are becoming less about shallow ideas and trite scriptures and more about practical guides to life changing Christian disciplines.  This book definitely falls into the later category and I would recommend it to any Christian, even those who already have a very strong faith.

This book was provided to me free of charge by Multnomah books in return for my honest review.

No comments: