Saturday, January 25, 2014

Book Review: Praying for Your Husband from Head to Toe by Sharon Jaynes

The one person I forget to pray for is my husband and I'm finding out I'm not alone.  It seems like our spouses take a back seat in a lot of things, our prayer life included.  Because of that, I was eager to read Praying for Your Husband from Head to Toe:  A Daily Guide to Scripture-Based Prayer by Sharon Jaynes.  The book is set up with some discussion about prayer in the beginning, thirty days of prayer devotionals, and at the very end, prayers for special circumstances, like for a husband that hasn't been saved or who needs to be healed.

The peculiar thing about this book is the method the author goes about praying for husbands from head to toe.  She literally prays for them from head to toe.  Starting at the head and going to the feet, each body part represents an aspect of the husband's life, and each day and for each body part, there is a Bible verse and a prayer to pray.

I have to admit, my reaction to this was that it was kind of hokey and a little tedious.  I even felt silly at times and my husband's reaction to the concept was, "That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard."  In a way, though, this is the greatest strength of the book.  Because our spouse is usually the last person we remember to pray for, this book's tedium and thoroughness forces the reader to methodically pray for their husband.  You can't get by with a quick two second prayer that your husband has a good day at work.  You have to meditate on your husband and how scripture applies to him.  You are forced to pray about things you may never think of to pray for him about.  In the end, you walk away feeling like you have prayed for your spouse in a way that a wife should pray for her husband.

I recommend this book to any wife who struggles with praying for her husband or who wants to deepen the way she prays for her husband.  The tediousness may turn some off, but some may adapt to it and find it the main strength of the book. 

I was provided a copy of this book from Waterbrook Multnomah in return for my honest opinion.

No comments: