Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Beloved Dust by Jamin Goggin and Kyle Strobel

Beloved Dust:  Drawing Close to God by Discovering the Truth About Yourself by Jamin Goggin and Kyle Strobel is an interesting book.  The basic premise is that God is big, we are little and we need to be in contact with Him all the time.  I can't think of a more solid grounding upon which to start a book.

In some ways, this book was incredible.  I loved Jamin Goggin's writing style the most and overall, the message is spot on.  In fact, here and now I am coining the saying, "Anything important I've ever learned about myself, I learned through prayer."  Even what is written in the first few pages is so honest that I believe it would challenge the most seasoned believer.  None of us is where we need to be prayer wise and the last half of this book describes what a rich, meaningful prayer life with the Father can look like.  Instead of giving a step-by-step how-to on how to pray better, these authors make a successful attempt at helping the reader address the heart issues that are keeping them from reaching the level of relationship we want though prayer.

The only problem with the book is that I had a really hard time reading it through.  I've tried to analyze if this is a book issue or if it is just me with the wrong book at the wrong time.  I think it is a little of both.  The one thing that made it hard for me to read was the chapters weren't distinctive enough in their organization.  You could have taken the chapter dividers out and I'm pretty sure it would have read well as just one long narrative.  This may not be a big deal to many, but for me, who always seems to be reading 10+ books at a time between needing to do research for my sermon, working on writing projects or being on here reviewing books.  It's not a big deal, but for me, it made it one that I wasn't eager to finish.

Overall, the content of this book is excellent and I recommend it.  I think new Christians and well-seasoned followers alike will be challenged and enlightened by this book.

I was provided this book free of charge from Thomas Nelson in return for my honest review.


No comments: