Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Promises for God's Princesses by Katrina Cassel

I was excited to receive Promises for God's Princesses by Katrina Cassel.  I have a ten year old daughter and she is right in the perfect age range for this book, which I would say is about 6-13 (though the younger kids would need for a parent to read it to them).  I wanted to get her opinion on it as well as mine to share.

From a mother's perspective, this is the perfect kind of devotional for a girl my daughter's age.  Plenty of pink and the pages are decorated with cute flowers help make it something my daughter wants to spend time with.  Each of the 100 devotions start with scripture in either the NIV or NLT translation, which make it easy for my daughter to read and understand.  The devotions are directed right to that age group with examples like friends, school, shopping with mom, etc.  The theology isn't too heady, but it doesn't water down the messages at all.  My favorite part as a parent is that the way the text is written it challenges my daughter to think about her own faith and feelings.

From my daughter's perspective, she loved it.  I suggested she just read one devotion a day, but after giving it to her to read in the bath tub, I came back 30 minutes later and she had read six of the devotions.  She really connected with the examples and could even find some in her own life.  We had done mother and daughter devotions before when she was younger, but this was a good introduction for her in what daily devotional time is like.

Overall, I highly recommend this book for any elementary or middle school aged girl.  It is full of Gospel truth and wonderful messages.

I was provided this book free of charge from Tyndale House Publishing in return for my honest review.

No comments: