Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Ask It by Andy Stanley

I've read a number of books by Andy Stanley.  I have to admit that this book, Ask It:  The Question That Will Revolutionize How You Make Decisions, is my least favorite Andy Stanley book I've ever read.  This is the revised and updated version of his previous book, The Best Question Ever.  I might have given it a pass if it wasn't a revised book, but by this second time around, he should have fixed the major problem in this book.

Spoiler....the revolutionary question is, "What is the wise thing for me to do?"  Sounds great on the surface, right?  Just always ask yourself what the most wise option is and do it.  But here is the problem, wisdom is subjective, even some biblical wisdom, and from my own experience, it was me going against conventional wisdom that have lead me to the most marvelous God experiences I've had.

"Wisdom" would have told me that it wasn't God telling me to be a preacher because I'm a woman.  But I went against the wisdom people were giving me and God has blessed my ministry beyond my wildest dreams!  I've seen God provide because people didn't follow the wisdom given them.  In a world where biblical truth doesn't seem wise so church leaders are tweeking it so it fits culture, it is dangerous to trust people to determine what the "wise" choice would be.

And what about Proverbs 3:5-6?  God says our ways are not His ways.  But what I'm finding more and more with Stanley's books is that he is starting to rely more on the "best practices" of the world and less on scripture.  I fear that in several years, there won't be any difference between him and any other secular leadership expert.  I believe part of it is his desire to brand himself as a leadership expert and share his wisdom with the secular world.  While that is a noble goal, he is throwing the baby out with the bathwater.  And that is sad, especially because this book is true a fair amount of the time, but the fact it purports to "revolutionize how you make your decisions", it is false advertising.

I can't recommend this book.  When making a decision, make one of your determiners "What is the wise thing for me to do?" but don't rely completely on that to find your answer.  A far more important question to ask is, "What does God say about this?".

I was provided this book free of charge in return for my honest review.

No comments: