Monday, July 23, 2012

Being like a little child

I wish I would have written a blog post last night. I was miserable. I was hot, tired, had a killer headache, and sat outside thinking....this place is hell. Hot, dry, barren, dusty, yuck. But it's amazing what a night of sleep, a gallon of water, some air conditioning and a shower can do for you.


But as for today, our work was to go into a community of cinder block houses on the "Fun Bus" and just play with whatever kids come by. The "fun bus" is a gutted school bus that has been painted and decorated on the inside, has two basketball hoops on the side and was filled with tables, corn hole boards, crayons, jump ropes, ice cream and juice. It was neat seeing how you can just pull into a neighborhood and start playing with kids. Some of us played basketball or soccer. Some of us colored with the kids. One of the locals led bible study time. I painted faces and scooped ice cream.

What struck me most, though, was watching the adults interact with the kids. The adults that made the most impact were the ones that let themselves become children and enjoy the play time. Once I had someone paint my face, then I became like one of them and I had many more interactions with those I was serving.

Kids need strong adult role models, but those role models need to be able to humble themselves as well. In Luke 18:16-17, Jesus says, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." How can we model being a mature Christians to our children without humbling ourselves and become like those we are trying to teach? Coming to Christ like a child is at the very essence of Christianity. Be free to play like a child, because in the eyes of God, you are one.

No comments: