Friday, August 16, 2013

Book Review: If You Have a Craving, I Have a Cure by Sheri Rose Shepherd

My chief worry when starting this book, If You Have a Craving, I Have a Cure by Sheri Rose Shepherd, was that it would just be a rehash of what I had read in Made to Crave by Lysa TerKeurst. Made to Crave was an excellent book and I was afraid this book was a copycat. I was wrong.

This book goes a whole other direction. Without actually counting the pages, over half the book seems to be recipes. The rest of the book are short readings with tips for curing your cravings, both spiritual and food wise. Many of the short readings read like devotionals, even though they are not laid out that way. This book would be a nice supplement or compliment to Made to Crave, if you already have it.

I will point out, this book is not a weight loss book, per se. It is more concerned with seeing food in a Godly way and creating an arsenal of healthier recipes. There is no diet plan and the recipes include beef, butter, honey and many other things that people on a diet consider off limits. Instead of eliminating these things in the recipes, they are just reduced to healthier proportions. Also, there are very few, if any, bizarre ingredients that you would have to go to a specialty store to get, much like you encounter in many diet books. You should be able to find everything in even a small town grocery store. For those of us who live far from organic/health food stores, that is important.

I would recommend this book to anyone looking to put food back in it's proper place in their life. If you are looking for a book that will lead you to a healthier lifestyle that puts God above everything else, then this is the book for you.

I was given a free copy of this book by Tyndale publishing in return for my honest review.

No comments: